Blog Archive

Tuesday 6 June 2017

Maintaining our Freedoms, Safety and Rights



Ahead of the coming UK General Election, Republic of Ireland and British citizens, living both in the UK and other EU countries, aged from 26 across the whole range to 77, express why they want to remain European Union citizens.

I bought into the idea of common identity, history, values and culture right from 1973. - John, Irish, living in UK.

I want to remain an EU citizen because this is a crucial and opportune time for citizens' action to transform the European Union in a democratic direction. – Gerald, British, living in England.

The European Union gives us economic stability/transparency, national/international security through shared EU intelligence and equal rights for all EU citizens. It maintains and improves the high standards of living in expected from first world nations, has media transparency/accountability and accessibility for all EU citizens to higher levels of Justice. The EU provides an international collective voice of reason which has evolved over decades to guide member nations whilst setting an example to the world for negotiating a more civilised transition through the current turbulence in an ever increasing unstable globalised/insular world, assurance that the freedoms which have been gained and fought/campaigned for over 70 years will remain intact, and collective strength to empower member nations to resist the  detrimental influences of other world regimes.  - Jan Paul, British, living in the Netherlands.

I want to remain an EU citizen because I want to keep my right to live in other European countries. - Matt, British, living in France.

I want to remain an EU citizen because I AM a 'European Citizen' and I am staying that way!  - Mick, British, living in Germany.

I want to remain an EU citizen because I am an European, and I am never going to give up my right to Freedom of Movement.  - Chiara-Etsuko, British, living in Italy.

I live with my husband in a small town on the Costa Blanca.  My husband had been a self- employed builder in the UK but had to stop working because of health issues. He has received amazing care here and has been given drugs which he was told in the UK were not available to him. We sold our house in the UK a couple of years ago. We were devastated and also angry with the result of the referendum because we are now fully integrated Europeans. – Pam, British, living in Spain.

I want to retain the freedom to live, work or retire anywhere in the EU member states. – Adam, British, living in the Netherlands.

'Living in Europe meant, up until June 24th 2016, that I was a member of a massive, chaotic, cacophonic, creative, colourful community. -  Gemma, British, living in Germany.

I want to remain an EU citizen because I wish to remain living and working in Europe, to be able to move freely between one European country and the other. I can find no advantage in leaving the European Union. Because I have been living longer than 15 years outside the UK, I was denied a vote in the Referendum and also will not be able to vote in the coming election. - Caroline, British, living in the Netherlands.

I'm Kentish! I want to stay as this is my home my life I have nothing to return to UK for! Whatever I'm staying even if have to sell home and live in camper van! – Pam, British, living in France.

It's important to work together to resolve shared problems and achieve shared goals. Britain brings a sense of commercial liberalism to Europe whilst Europe teaches Britain the art of realpolitik compromise. Both are only possible when we all recognise and understand our respective cultural identities and are working together in the same institutions. – a British citizen, living in the UK.

Thank you to members of the Facebook groups Campaign for Europe, Europeans, Brits Abroad against Brexit and The European Party for their contributions and making this piece possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment